Skip to main content

Podcasts

This has nothing to do with Switzerland. It's a leftover from when this was a personal blog. I'm leaving it here anyway for my own reference.

I'm a fan of Podcasts. For those who don't know, these are something like radio shows that you download to your phone or computer. They often focus on a small area where they have passionate interest. They're perfect for long walks, drives, or bus rides.

These are the podcasts that I've been listening to lately:

  • NPR Hourly News Summary because radios are hard. I own a dozen computers and cell phones, but there's not an FM receiver to be found in the place.
  • The ISC Daily Stormcast is a daily brief overview of current events in computer security.
  • Planet Money tries to figure out why financial markets work the way that they work. 
  • Hidden Brain looks at some of our less-than-rational decision making processes.
  • 99% Invisible covers the reasons and impact of design decisions.
  • Futility Closet discusses unusual and sometimes forgotten episodes in history.
  • No Such Thing as a Fish allows several of the writers from the excellent Qi television show to riff off of one another's obscure trivia findings. 

There are a few others that I fit in when I can, but I'm less diligent about keeping up:
  • This American Life is almost always superb, but it's long, it's often quite serious, and it requires active listening. I don't always feel like I can give it the attention that it deserves.
  • Stuff You Should Know bounces all over the place. Some episodes are great, and some are terrible. 
  • The Allusionist talks about language and etymology. It's often clever and interesting, but it also requires a lot of attention, so I tend to fall behind.

I've been listening to these with Pocket Casts. It doesn't have all of the features that I want, but it does synchronize nicely across devices.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stinky cheese, man

I'm living in a place that's known for it's cheese. There are hundreds of kinds of cheese at my local grocery store. I try something different every time I go shopping, and I've still barely scratched the surface of what's available. There's one kind of cheese that deserves special mention: Raclette . Raclette is strange for a few different reasons. Most notably, it's almost always served cooked, and there's a bit of a ritual around cooking it. You will never be offered raw raclette. Why? Raw raclette is pungent stuff. It's hard to describe the smell, but I've heard it described as a cross between sweat socks, vomit, and curdled milk. To say that it stinks is a polite understatement. So, why on earth would anyone eat it? Because when you cook it, you somehow cook the stink out of it, and what's left is sublime. It's a sort of oily cheese, and you get something like the best pizza or nacho cheese you've ever had. I've hea...

The Chromecast conceptual model

Google makes a device called Chromecast . It's a relatively inexpensive way to turn any TV into a "Smart" TV capable of playing movies or music. It's a clever bit of engineering, but I've run into a few people who have trouble understanding how they work. The key thing to understand is that the Chromecast is the device that's actually receiving and playing the movie (or whatever), and your phone is just the remote. Here's how the process works at a high level: You start watching a video on Youtube 30 seconds in, you decide that you'd like to watch the rest on your TV, so you press the "Cast" button. Your phone stops playing and tells the Chromecast "Get this video directly from Youtube and start playing at the 0:30 mark"  When your phone initially asks the Chromecast to start playing, it also specifies a "default thing" to do when the Chromecast is finished. If the Chromecast is playing a Youtube video, it might...

The Virus By the Numbers

I'm writing this because there's some really insane stuff that's being said by people who should really know better, and I'm sick of discussing it one post or email at a time. So, this is my One Big Post that I'll point people toward rather than bringing it up again and again. In case you haven't noticed, we're in the middle of a pandemic. Just so that we're all using the same terminology:  The virus is Severe acute respiratory syndrome Coronavirus 2 . It's usually abbreviated SARS-CoV-2. It's a brand new kind of Coronavirus, so for a while, before it had this awkward name, people were calling it "novel coronavirus". (For the non-English speakers and D students, "novel" is another word for "new".) The disease that the virus causes is called Coronavirus Disease 2019 , and it's usually abbreviated COVID-19. It's called that because it was discovered in 2019. This came out of nowhere in China in late ...