Skip to main content

Shifts in network scarcity

When you set up a network, whether it's for home or work, you need to think about how the network's going to be used and which resources are going to be most limited.

For a long time, the relative scarcity looked like this:
  1. Internet bandwidth was very limited
  2. Wireless network bandwidth was somewhat limited
  3. Powerline adapters were faster than wireless, but slower than Ethernet
  4. Wired Ethernet network bandwidth was relatively fast
To get around these limits, you would avoid using the wireless network whenever possible. If you needed to get an internet connection from one end of a house or building to another, you'd try to find a way to use wired whenever possible, even if that meant something like Powerline adapters. Anything to maximize the scarce WiFi bandwidth. Keeping local copies of big files like OS updates also made a lot of sense, as those could take hours to download. I even had a well-tuned QoS (Quality of Service) setup on my old home network to prioritize things like games, video calls, and streaming downloads.

Now, though, I have a fast internet connection, a nice WiFi adapter, and a building with really old wiring. The old wiring renders Powerline nearly useless. So, for me, scarcity looks like this:
  1. Powerline adapters are relatively slow (around 50Mb/s)
  2. Wireless bandwidth is good in the aggregate, but individual devices rarely have enough antennas to break 200Mb/s
  3. Internet bandwidth is almost never limiting at 500Mb/s. 
  4. Wired Ethernet at 1000Mb/s is faster, but not overwhelmingly so.
The result is that there's almost no tuning to be done. Just connect it to the wireless network and go. Old habits die hard, so I've tried tuning a few different things, but nothing really makes it faster than just leaving it alone.

I suppose that it frees up time for other things... like patching all of the internet connected doodads that sprout up like weeds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stinky cheese, man

I'm living in a place that's known for it's cheese. There are hundreds of kinds of cheese at my local grocery store. I try something different every time I go shopping, and I've still barely scratched the surface of what's available. There's one kind of cheese that deserves special mention: Raclette . Raclette is strange for a few different reasons. Most notably, it's almost always served cooked, and there's a bit of a ritual around cooking it. You will never be offered raw raclette. Why? Raw raclette is pungent stuff. It's hard to describe the smell, but I've heard it described as a cross between sweat socks, vomit, and curdled milk. To say that it stinks is a polite understatement. So, why on earth would anyone eat it? Because when you cook it, you somehow cook the stink out of it, and what's left is sublime. It's a sort of oily cheese, and you get something like the best pizza or nacho cheese you've ever had. I've hea...

The Chromecast conceptual model

Google makes a device called Chromecast . It's a relatively inexpensive way to turn any TV into a "Smart" TV capable of playing movies or music. It's a clever bit of engineering, but I've run into a few people who have trouble understanding how they work. The key thing to understand is that the Chromecast is the device that's actually receiving and playing the movie (or whatever), and your phone is just the remote. Here's how the process works at a high level: You start watching a video on Youtube 30 seconds in, you decide that you'd like to watch the rest on your TV, so you press the "Cast" button. Your phone stops playing and tells the Chromecast "Get this video directly from Youtube and start playing at the 0:30 mark"  When your phone initially asks the Chromecast to start playing, it also specifies a "default thing" to do when the Chromecast is finished. If the Chromecast is playing a Youtube video, it might...

The Virus By the Numbers

I'm writing this because there's some really insane stuff that's being said by people who should really know better, and I'm sick of discussing it one post or email at a time. So, this is my One Big Post that I'll point people toward rather than bringing it up again and again. In case you haven't noticed, we're in the middle of a pandemic. Just so that we're all using the same terminology:  The virus is Severe acute respiratory syndrome Coronavirus 2 . It's usually abbreviated SARS-CoV-2. It's a brand new kind of Coronavirus, so for a while, before it had this awkward name, people were calling it "novel coronavirus". (For the non-English speakers and D students, "novel" is another word for "new".) The disease that the virus causes is called Coronavirus Disease 2019 , and it's usually abbreviated COVID-19. It's called that because it was discovered in 2019. This came out of nowhere in China in late ...